Why is the traditional concept of species not readily applicable to microbes due to asexual reproduction and the frequent occurrence of horizontal gene transfer?
- Describe the general process of sexual reproduction, and how it relates to the definition of species in eukaryotic organisms.
- Describe the general process of asexual reproduction/binary fission.
- Describe the concept of a species with regard to a core genome and genomic islands.
- Explain why the traditional definitions of species using reproductive isolation do not apply to Bacteria and Archaea.
- Bacterial and archaeal species are often defined as bacteria exhibiting more than 70% DNA hybridization among strains. Discuss one benefit and one problem of this definition of the species.